All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from Shakspere as a Playwright A few years ago a French critic pointed out the significant fact that the British had chosen to consider Shakspere chiefly as a poet, whereas the French had preferred to treat him rather as a psychologist and the Germans as a philosopher. There could be stronger testimony to the diversity of Shakspere's appeal than this divergence of approach. And yet, poet as he was, and philosopher and psychologist, Shakspere was first of all a playwright, composing plays to be performed by actors in a theater before an audience. He has been superabundantly discussed as a poet, as a philosopher, and as a psychologist; but he has been less adequately criticized as a playwright, pure and simple. Perhaps it is in the United States that this aspect of his genius has been most often considered. This book has been born of the belief that - thanks to the untiring investigations of devoted scholars - our stock of information about the Elizabethan playhouse has w made it possible to relate Shakspere more intimately to the theater of his own time, to the actors of his own company, and to the contemporary spectators for whose pleasure he composed his plays. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Brander Matthews
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.