Shamanism and Tantra in the Himalayas by Surendra Bahadur Shahi, Christian Ratsch, Claudia Muller-Ebeling (Paperback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $85.41+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $80.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Himalayan kingdom of Nepal may be the only culture in the world where both shamanic and tantric techniques are still alive and in full practice today. The result of eighteen years of field research SHAMANISM AND TANTRA IN THE HIMALAYAS presents for the first time a comprehensive overview of shamanism that is based on the kwledge and experience of the different tribes from that region. Included are original statements from the various ethnic groups and 135 colour thangkas which act as visual guides to the specific practices of the tantric tradition. In addition to the thangkas the book is lavishly illustrated with numerous photos of different shamanic healing ceremonies ritual objects and culturally significant plants that have never been published before. The book also contains a wealth of original recipes smoking mixtures scientific tables charts and descriptions of more than 20 plants whose psychoactive properties and uses by shamans have never before been researched or documented. * Contains 605 colour and black-and-white illustrations including 135 colour thangkas. * Includes more than 20 psychoactives never before documented. * The result of 18 years of field research.
- Author BiographyClaudia Muller-Ebeling, Ph.D., is an art historian and anthropologist. She is also the coauthor of Hexenmedizin (Witch's Medicine) and was editor-in-chief of Dao, a magazine about the Far East. She lives in Hamburg, Germany. Christian R䴳ch, Ph.D., is a world-renowned anthropologist and ethnopharmacologist who specializes in the shamanic uses of plants (for spiritual as well as medicinal purposes). He is also the author of Marijuana Medicine and coauthor of the revised edition of Plants of the Gods. He lives in Hamburg, Germany. Surendra Bahadur Shahi was born in Kathmandu into a Newari family of the Shahi caste and is an accomplished thangka painter. He speaks 10 different languages and has a thorough knowledge of the Buddhist and Hindu religion and mythology and the cultural customs of the Newari people.
- Author(s)Christian Ratsch,Claudia Muller-Ebeling,Surendra Bahadur Shahi
- PublisherInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Date of Publication10/10/2002
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationRocester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Content Note605 colour and b&w illustrations
- Weight1850 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.