Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.27Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShantyboat is the story of a leisurely journey down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. For most people such a journey is the stuff that dreams are made of, but for Harlan and Anna Hubbard it became a cherished reality. In the fall of 1944 they built a houseboat, small but neatly accommodated to their needs, on the bank of the Ohio near Cincinnati, and in it after a pause of two years they set out to drift down the river.In their small craft, the Hubbards became one with the flow of the river and its changing weathers. An artist by profession, Harlan Hubbard records with graceful ease the many facets of their life on the river-the parama of fields and woods, summer gardening, foraging expeditions for nuts and berries, dangers from storms and treacherous currents, the quiet solitude of the mists of early morning. Their life is sustained by the provender of bank and stream, useful things made and found, and mutual aid and wisdom from people met along the journey. It is a life marked by simplicity and independence, strenuous at times, but joyous, with leisure for painting and music, for observation and contemplation.
- Author BiographyHarlan and Anna Hubbard lived at Payne Hollow, Trimble County, Kentucky, where they spent the first summer of the journey described in Shantyboat.
- Author(s)Harlan Hubbard
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication30/12/1977
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight499 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Most relevant reviews
- robertb690606 Apr, 2013by
A geat book and excellent value.
As a professional boat builder I have always been interested in boating yarns. This story in words and sketches by the Harlan Hubbard is a true classic describing river live in the USA in an era that has now gone. Using found timber brought down the river in floods and minimum of purchases an "old world" timber shanty is built on the base of a large punt. Then pushed off the river bank and allowed to drift downstream. Remember no motor or sail. Just tide and current, wind and a long set of oars enabled Harlen and his wife to embark on a journey. A book that can be read by young boys as well as us oldies who can dream of men and boats on a big river. No regrets. A book I will keep and pass on to my grand kids. There are are not too many books like this around. Grab one on eBay while you still can. Read full review
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57