All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.29
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.70
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.66
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.67
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.62
About this product
- DescriptionMaxi, a middle-class, directionless ox of a young man who helps the trash pickers of Bues Aires's shantytown, attracts the attention of a corrupt, trigger-happy policeman who will use anyone - including two incent teenage girls - to break a drug ring that he believes is operating within the slum. A strange new drug, a brightly lit carousel of a slum, the kindness of strangers, gunplay... matter how serious the subject matter, and despite Aira's fascination with urban violence and the sinister underside of Latin American politics (The Millions), Shantytown, like all of Aira's mesmerizing work, is filled with wonder and mad invention.
- Author BiographyNominated for a Neustadt Award and shortlisted for the 2015 Man Booker International Prize, Cesar Aira was born in Coronel Pringles, Argentina, in 1949. He has published at least ninety books. The poet Chris Andrews teaches at the University of Western Sydney, Australia, where he is a member of the Writing and Society Research Center. He has translated books by Roberto Bolano and Cesar Aira for New Directions.
- Author(s)Cesar Aira
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication20/11/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight160 g
- Width130 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byChris Andrews
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.