All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most important developments in Muslim politics in recent years has been the spread of movements calling for the implementation of shari`a or Islamic law. Shari`a Politics maps the ideals and organization of these movements and examines their implications for the future of democracy, citizen rights, and gender relations in the Muslim world. These studies of eight Muslim-majority societies, and state-of-the-field reflections by leading experts, provide the first comparative investigation of movements for and against implementation of shari`a. These essays reveal that the Muslim public's interest in shari`a does t spring from an unchanging devotion to received religious tradition, but from an effort to respond to the central political and ethical questions of the day.
- Author BiographyRobert W. Hefner is Director of the Institute on Culture, Religion, and World Affairs at Boston University.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication04/04/2011
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byRobert W. Hefner
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.