All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionAfter the 1989 Islamist coup in Sudan, the National Islamic Front under General Omar al-Bashir and Dr. Hasan Turabi attempted to institutionalise, codify and implement Shari'a law throughout the country. However, by 2005, with the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement ending 22 years of civil war, the government agreed to halt its policy of Islamisation in the South. Shari'a and Islamism in Sudan explores how Sudanese society has been transformed by this period of implementation of Islamic Law, and furthermore asks, what are the continuing effects of this policy? And what are the implications of the Peace Agreement for the future of Islamist politics in Sudan and of the country? With data drawn from Carolyn Fluehr-Lobban's most recent research in the region, this book is a vital and unique examination of the nature of the Sudanese state and society, offering invaluable insight for all those interested in the politics, society, and the future of Sudan and the nature of political Islam.
- Author BiographyCarolyn Fluehr-Lobban is Professor Emerita of Anthropology and Joint Doctoral Program in Education at Rhode Island College and Adjunct Professor of African Studies at Naval War College. Her research topics cover Islamic law and society, women's social and legal status in the Muslim world, human rights and cultural relativism, ethics and anthropology and comparative studies in law and society.
- Author(s)Carolyn Fluehr-Lobban
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/07/2012
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Series TitleInternational Library of African Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number30
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 b/w integrated
- Weight567 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.