Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a startlingly good debut by Marianne Burton. Often dark, but with a sharply concise and compelling style, these poems draw you in with a 'look at this!' urgency. This is a collection of voices: dodos and wallpaper chant obsessively, a cheese weeps for the calf whose milk it stole, a woman turned into soap dreams of her apotheosis as she washes into the sea. Uneasy yet fruitful juxtapositions abound: poems of war are set against poems of the natural world, a glimpse of a sparrowhawk is offset by a wider vision of the 'River flowing under the Bank of England'. The series, 'Meditations on the Hours', that highlight the domestic and the personal, is at the core of this group of lyrical poems. The poet's language is both keen and voluptuous, contemplative and passionate.
- Author BiographyMarianne Burton studied law at Oxford and qualified as a solicitor. She worked in the City specializing in advising Friendly Societies, and as a director on the board of a pharmaceutical company. She has a first class degree in Literature from the Open University and a Creative Writing MA from Royal Holloway where she studied with Andrew Motion and Jo Shapcott. In 2010, Gillian Clarke and Carol Ann Duffy, who encouraged her to put together her first collection, tutored her at Ty Newydd. Her poems have been widely published in top literary journals including Poetry Wales, Poetry London, and the Times Literary Supplement. Her pamphlet, The Devils' Cut, was a Poetry Book Society choice in 2007. She has won and been placed in a number of competitions including Mslexia, TLS, Edwin Morgan, Bridport, Cardiff International.
- PrizesShortlisted for Felix Dennis Forward Poetry Prize for Best First Collection 2013.
- Author(s)Marianne Burton
- PublisherPoetry Wales Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBridgend
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight113 g
- Width137 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.