All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.49Trending at AU $31.88
- AU $55.54Trending at AU $56.93
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.75
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.38
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $12.67Trending at AU $12.99
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.43
About this product
- DescriptionQuan Barry s lumius fiction debut brings us the tumultuous history of modern Vietnam as experienced by a young girl born under mysterious circumstances a few years before the country s reunification, a child gifted with the otherworldly ability to hear the voices of the dead. At the peak of the war in Vietnam, a baby girl is born along the Song Ma River on the night of the full moon. This is Rabbit, who will journey away from her destroyed village with a makeshift family thrown together by war. Here is a Vietnam we ve never encountered before: through Rabbit s inexplicable but radiant intuition, we are privy to an intimate version of history, from the days of French Indochina and the World War II rubber plantations through the chaos of postwar reunification. With its use of magical realism Rabbit s ability to hear the dead the vel reconstructs a turbulent historical period through a painterly human lens. This is the moving story of one woman s struggle to unearth the true history of Vietnam while simultaneously carving out a place for herself within it.
- Author BiographyBorn in Saigon and raised on Boston s north shore, <b>Quan Barry</b> is a professor of English at the University of Wisconsin Madison and the author of four poetry books; her third book, <i>Water Puppets</i>, won the AWP Donald Hall Prize for Poetry and was a PEN/Open Book finalist. She has received NEA Fellowships in both fiction and poetry, and her work has appeared in such publications as <i>Ms.</i> and <i>The New Yorker</i>. Barry lives in Wisconsin.
- Author(s)Quan Barry
- PublisherPantheon Books
- Date of Publication10/02/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPantheon Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.