All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionVivacious, confident and striking, young Australian Sheila Chisholm met her first husband, Lord Loughborough, in Egypt during the First World War. Arriving in London as a young married woman, she quickly conquered English society, and would spend the next half a century inside the palaces, mansions and clubs of the elite. Her clandestine affair with young Bertie, the future George VI, caused ruptures at Buckingham Palace, with King George offering his son the title Duke of York in exchange for never hearing of Sheila again. She subsequently became Lady Milbanke, one of London's most admired fashion icons and society fundraisers and ended her days as Princess Dimitri of Russia, juggling her royal duties with a successful career as a travel agent. Throughout her remarkable life, Sheila won the hearts of men ranging from Rudolph Valenti and Vincent Astor to Prince Obolensky, and maintained longstanding friendships with Evelyn Waugh, Noel Coward, Idina Sackville and Nancy Mitford. A story unkwn to most, Sheila is a spellbinding account of an utterly fascinating woman.
- Author BiographyRobert Wainwright has worked as a journalist for thirty years and is the author of eight books. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Robert Wainwright
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication07/08/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationSt Leonards
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Note3 x 8pp colour pics
- Weight427 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.