All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionSince the late 1960s, Peter Downsbrough (b. 1940) has been an important figure in contemporary art, associated with such major international art movements as minimal art, conceptual art, and visual poetry. His artistic work embraces an equally wide range of media: sculpture, architecture, books, film, and photography. This book provides, for the first time, a profound insight into Downsbrough's diverse and complex use of photography within his artistic work over the last 40 years. A substantial essay by Alexander Streitberger discusses the artist's photographic work-which includes single prints, series, postcards, collages, and books-within its aesthetic and historical context. Streitberger relates Downsbrough's work to fundamental issues of photographic practice and discourse such as the photograph as document, the representation of urban space, space-time relations, collage as an aesthetic and political means of expression, the relationship between still and moving image, and the context of presentation.The rich image material-some of which has never been published before-is arranged by the artist himself in order to create a fertile exchange between the topics of the text and his own intervention. Concluding with an exclusive interview with the artist, this book offers a genuine dialogue between artistic practice and theoretical reflection.
- Author BiographyAlexander Streitberger is Professor of Modern and Contemporary Art History at the Universite Catholique de Louvain (UCL) and director of the Lieven Gevaert Centre for Photography.
- Author(s)Alexander Streitberger
- PublisherLeuven University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2011
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleLieven Gevaert Series
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Place of PublicationLeuven
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintLeuven University Press
- Content Note140, 140 halftones
- Weight542 g
- Width170 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine1 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.