Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionSumi narete tochi owarete sokai suru. (Expelled, chased out from the land we lived comfortably) Rokunin ashi kata koshi sokai suru (Evacuation, six small kid's foot prints left behind.) Sutsu kaisu sageta kodomo wa ureshi garu (Carrying suitcases, kids were so excited) Shin pai wa doko e yuku ka kane mo nai shi. (No money, destination t kwn, so worried.) Jinsei ayumi tsuka reta, shiroi hata (Tired, exhausted of this journey, defeated with white flag) Shikataganai: It Can't Be Helped traces one Japanese-Canadian family's experience of evacuation and internment during World War II. By recounting personal stories of racial discrimination relating to these events, Sumi Kishita tells the story of her parents' struggle to cope while raising a family in the British Columbia interior during the war. These struggles continued during the difficult resettling period following the war, as her parents were faced with the twin realities of having their property confiscated and their livelihood disrupted. Including first-hand accounts from other members of the Morisawa family, Shikataganai: It Can't Be Helped weaves a compelling story of tragedy, of loss, of retaining a sense of humour, and ultimately, of finding hope in the face of life's challenges.
- Author(s)Sumi Kinoshita
- Date of Publication29/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.