All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book reveals the influence of Shaivism on the Western world, discusses Shaivism's understanding of sacred sexuality and presents the connections between Vedic poetry and metaphysics. In Shive and the Primordial Tradition , Alain Danielou explores the relationship between Shaivism and the Western world. Shaivite philosophy does t oppose theology, cosmology and science because it recognises that their common aim is to seek to understand and explain the nature of the world. In the Western world, the idea of bridging the divide between science and religion is just beginning to touch the edges of mainstream thought. This rare collection of the late author's writings contains several never-before-published articles and offers an in-depth look at the many facets of the Samkhya, the cosmologic doctrines of the Shaivite tradition. Danielou provides important revelations on subjects such as the science of dreams, the role of poetry and sexuality in the sacred, the personality of the great Shankara and the Shaivite influence on the Scythians and the Parthians (and by extension, the Hellenic world in general). Providing a convincing argument in favour of the polytheistic approach, he explains that motheism is merely the deification of individualism - the separation of humanity from nature - and that, by ackwledging the sacred in everything, we can recognise the imprint of the primordial tradition.
- Author BiographyALAIN DANIELOU (1907-1994) spent more than 15 years in the traditional society of India, using only the Sanskrit and Hindi languages and studying music and philosophy with eminent scholars. He was duly initiated into esoteric Shaivism, which gave him unusual access to texts transmitted through the oral tradition alone. He is the author or translator of more than 30 books on the religion, history, and arts of India and the Mediterranean, including The Complete Kama Sutra, The Myths and Gods of India, and A Brief History of India. JEAN-LOUIS GABIN, Ph.D., began collecting and editing the various texts in this volume in collaboration with Danielou while he was still alive. He is working on an additional Ph.D. in Philosophy of Religion and Indology on the subject Tradition and Modernity in the works of Alain Danielou. He also has edited and published five posthumous collections of Alain Danielou's work in French as well as serving as editor of the English edition of India: A Civilization of Differences.
- Author(s)Alain Danielou
- PublisherInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Date of Publication30/11/2006
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationRochester, VT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.