All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionThe latter half of the 20th century was a turbulent time for race relations in the United States. In the public sphere, protests, riots, and violence were t uncommon when tensions reached their peak. But in the United States Army, a more peaceful transition took place as highly trained, highly intelligent African American officers rose through the ranks in a de-segregated military. Some of the names, like General Colin Powell, are familiar to the general public, but many more are t. Dr. Jimmie Jones, himself a retired African American officer of the United States Army, presents here a comprehensive look at the evolving role of black officers in the army over the last several decades. The story he tells is one part history and one part charming narrative as he recounts his journeys around the country as an officer moving up in the ranks and as an avid interviewer taking every opportunity possible to meet with the trailblazing men and women who broke barriers to become the first African American general officers in the army. About the Author Dr. Jimmie Jones was born and raised on a farm in rth central Florida. As a child he attended segregated elementary and high schools. His numerous degrees from several different institutions include a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, a Master of Arts degree in Counseling, and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership. Dr. Jones served as a second Lieutenant in the Air Defense Artillery Branch of the United States Army. During his twenty-six years he served in Korea, Viet Nam and Germany commanding Air Defense Artillery units. As a Major, he served as a Personnel Assignment and Professional Development Officer in the Army Personnel Management Center in Alexander, Virginia. His final assignment was as Personnel Director for the Army National Guard in the Pentagon. After his service, Dr. Jones worked in public schools across the country as a teacher, coach, and principal. He was also a professor at Everest University in Jacksonville, Florida and was the Founding Principal of the all-girl charter school Waverly Academy in Jacksonville. Finally retired, Dr. Jones and his wife w live in Las Vegas, Nevada. He is an avid marathoner and golfer.
- Author(s)Jimmie Jones
- PublisherDorrance Publishing Co.
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDorrance Publishing Co.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight172 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.