All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionFailed states are at greatest risk for collapse and pose an urgent threat to international security. Yet, ironically, new U.S. foreign assistance programs such as the Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) routinely bypass these poorly performing countries, while providing increased aid to so-called good performers. This volume provides a lucid account of failed states that are ineligible for this new assistance, thus residing on the other side of the MCA. The first part analyzes U.S. policy toward the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria, Indonesia, Yemen, Myanmar, and Central America in order to examine the fundamental causes of poor performance. The second part examines the role of specific U.S. policy instruments in building state capacity to prevent deterioration and collapse. Uncovering one of the most recognizable, yet poorly understood, trends in the developing world, Short of the Goal sets an important agenda for increased American engagement with failed states to promote both development and security in the developing world.
- Author BiographyNancy Birdsall is the founding president of the Center for Global Development. Prior to launching the center, Birdsall was senior associate and director of the Economic Reform Project at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. From 1993 to 1998, Birdsall was executive vice president of the Inter-American Development Bank. Milan Vaishnav was a staff member of the Center for Global Development's Commission on Weak States and U.S. National Security. Robert L. Ayres is assistant vice president of International Affairs at American University, USA.
- PublisherCentre for Global Development
- Date of Publication01/04/2006
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCentre for Global Development
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight37 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byMilan Vaishnav,Nancy Birdsall,Robert L. Ayres
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.