All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.66Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionA flight with the Red Arrows sparks in Ron Powell a desire to tell the story of his early life and 32-years in the Royal Air Force, from engineering apprentice to group captain (full Colonel) pilot. The result is Shropshire Blue: A Shropshire Lad in the RAF. This first volume opens with him growing up in Ludlow, a historic town on the English/Welsh border, where his interest in the RAF is sparked by a headstone in a local cemetery. He joins the Service as a Halton apprentice, suffering under a harsh regime preparing him to parade before HM The Queen just five weeks later. It's a duty he performs ather ten times during his three year apprenticeship. On graduation, Ron works on Vulcan nuclear bombers that are poised to fly into the heart of the Soviet Union. He conveys the power and menace of these amazing aircraft, while painting a vivid portrait of life on a Cold War airbase. After selection as a potential pilot, he begins officer training. Once again, the regime is harsh, but he knuckles down, relating many, often humorous, episodes on the way to gaining his commission. If you enjoyed Ron's Battle of Britain vel, Wings Over Summer, you'll enjoy Preparation For Flight. The cover design is by Martin Butler. You can find out more on Ron's website, http: //www.ronpowell.co.uk.
- Author BiographyAfter 32 years in the Royal Air Force, from which he retired as a Group Captain (full Colonel) pilot running the first stage of flying training for the British Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force, Ron moved to south Wales to pursue his long held ambition of becoming a writer. Since then, he has written a Battle of Britain novel, Wings Over Summer, and a first volume of memoir, Shropshire Blue: A Shropshire Lad in the RAF, Volume 1, Preparation For Flight, both available as e-books and paperbacks on Amazon. He has also written numerous short stories and articles, many published and some prize-winning, and gives talks on a range of topics, including the Battle of Britain. More detail on Ron's RAF career, public talks and samples of his writing can be found on his website, http: //www.ronpowell.co.uk
- Author(s)Ron Powell
- Date of Publication23/10/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight312 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.