All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of an Aussie couple who sought a Mediterranean sea change only to find themselves in the sprawling Sicilian city of Catania - the 'anti-Tuscany' of Italy. There, any romantic visions they'd had of restoring a villa or stamping their entwined feet in vats of Chianti grapes disappeared faster than the chief witness in a Cosa Nostra trial. Shamus and Gill's tiny apartment in Catania was located in a grim neighbourhood opposite a triple-X cinema and a shop selling coffins; nearby Mount Etna erupted soon after their arrival; a mystery ailment left Shamus in a neck brace; they crashed a Vespa and had regular dealings with at least one Mafioso. This, then, is an Italian sea change with grit. But it's also a story of optimism, endurance and acceptance, an exploration of the minutiae of Sicilian culture, history, food and religion, and an example of how to find beauty - and humour - in the most unexpected of places.
- Author BiographyShamus Sillar earned a PhD in Roman History from the University of Queensland and went on to teach Classics in China. At the age of 29, he left university to travel and write. After his year in Italy with his wife, Shamus worked as the managing editor of two lifestyle magazine groups, first in Shanghai and now in Singapore. Shamus has been published by the likes of National Geographic and Conde Nast.Sicily, It's Not Quite Tuscany is his first book.
- Author(s)Shamus Sillar
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication03/01/2012
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationSt Leonards, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2012
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight370 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.