All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionNobel prize-winning author Hermann Hesse imagined life inIndia during the lifetime of the Buddha to create this memorable tale about a restless seeker of enlightenment. First published in 1922, <i>Siddhartha </i>employs powerful symbolism to impart its timeless teachings.The story concerns a young Brahman who quits his comfortable home to join a roving group of holy men in striving to empty their hearts of passion and desire through self-denial and meditation. Discouraged by his failure to find Nirvana after three years of the strictest asceticism, the young seeker turns to the fleshly world, where he becomes a wealthy merchant and partakes of sensual pleasures with a sophisticated courtesan. Years of materialistic self-indulgence numb Siddhartha's soul, but at his moment of greatest despondency, he begins to experience his long-sought spiritual awakening.True enlightenment, he realizes, cant be received from the lessons of others; it must be attained through individual struggle.This handy dual-language edition with its excellent line-for-line English translation on pages facing the original German text offers students an outstanding opportunity to hone their German-language skills while discovering a literary classic.
- Author(s)Hermann Hesse,Stanley Appelbaum
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication10/06/1998
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight227 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.