All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSign Painters is about the people, practices and art of sign painting and hand lettering. The book is comprised of transcribed interviews and images Faythe Levine and Sam Macon collected over two years of filming with working sign painters across America. The conversations, ruminations and thoughts expressed by these working sign painters communicate the history, the current state, and the future of this oft overlooked trade. Though the book will be a great read for the sign painting community, the book is more directed at your average aesthetically minded citizen. Anyone interested in art, design, public space, community, etc. should find this book of value. Sign painting occupies an interesting cross section of art and commerce, design and utility, artistry and labor, and this book tells this unique story.
- Author BiographySince graduating from High School Faythe Levine hasn t stopped working on project after project. Her interest in outsider communities, artists and the stories and people whom often get overlooked have propelled her to travel extensively. The constant in Faythe s 20 years of creative work is her dedication to documenting her day to day life and travels through photographs and correspondence (once handwritten letters, now more commonly through social networking sites). This dedication has allowed her creative community to have an international reach full of a variety of both famous and infamous people of all types. Sam Macon is a filmmaker. He directs television commercials, music videos, short form documentaries and Web based video content through production company Radar Studios. He also helms commercial projects in Paris through Cosa Productions and in Moscow with Bazaleves Films. He is currently working on the feature length documentary Sign Painters. In addition to directing, Sam has taught video production at the Chicago Portfolio School and has been a guest lecturer at DePaul University and Syracuse University.
- Author(s)Faythe Levine
- PublisherPrinceton Architectural Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton Architectural Press
- Content Notecol. Illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width191 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.