All listings for this product
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $30.15Trending at AU $36.83
- AU $30.38Trending at AU $33.82
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $37.62
- AU $32.26Trending at AU $42.32
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $45.13
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $33.74Trending at AU $34.32
About this product
- DescriptionDo you remember enjoying a meal at that famous restaurant, and wishing you could get the recipe for it? Or visiting a city for the first time, and eating at that cute little cafe that everyone raved about? Well w, you literally have your cake and eat it too. Or at least the recipe for the cake. The Signature Tastes of Mississippi captures the actual recipes from the restaurants that define the culinary tastes of the state. With almost 70 recipes from every corner of the state...from the John Currence's City Grocery in Oxford, to the Original Fried Pickles at the Hollywood Cafe, these are the restaurants and signature recipes that define the Maglia State. Shrimp and Grits Recipe courtesy of Chef John Currence, City Grocery, Oxford, MS. Grits: 1 C. quick grits 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter 3/4 C. extra sharp Cheddar cheese (white) 1/2 C. grated Parmesan cheese 1 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika Original TABASCO(R) brand Pepper Sauce to taste Salt and pepper to taste Shrimp: 2 C. chopped smoked bacon 3 Tbsp. olive oil 1 1/2 lb. (20- to 30-count) shrimp, peeled Salt and black pepper 1 Tbsp. minced garlic 3 C.s sliced white mushrooms 3 Tbsp. white wine 2 Tbsp. lemon juice 2 C. sliced scallions 1. Cook grits according to package instructions; as they are finishing, whisk in butter, cheeses, cayenne, paprika and TABASCO(R) Sauce to taste. 2. To prepare shrimp, cook bacon until it begins to brown; remove from heat and drain on paper towels. 3. Crumble bacon and set aside. Strain drippings and set aside. 4. Heat a large skillet until very hot; add olive oil and 2 Tbsp. of bacon drippings. As oil begins to smoke, toss in shrimp to cover bottom of pan. Before stirring, season with salt and pepper. Stir until shrimp begin to turn pink; let pan return to original hot temperature. 5. Stir in minced garlic and bacon bits, being careful t to burn garlic. 6. Toss in mushrooms and coat with oil briefly. Add lemon juice and wine, and stir for 30 seconds or so until everything is well coated and incorporated. 7. When ready to serve, stir in sliced scallions and cook about 20 seconds. 8. Serve immediately over the aforementioned, patiently waiting cheese grits. Enjoy, burp, and reminisce about those fine meals at City Grocery.
- Author BiographySteven W. Siler is a firefighter-cum-chef serving both in the Deep South and the Pacific Northwest. He is the best-selling author of the Signature Tastes cookbook series. Long marinated in the epicurean heritage of the Deep South, Steven has spent over 20 years in the much-vaulted restaurant industry from BOH to FOH to chef. In addition, he has served as an editor and contributing writer for several food publications. When not trying to shove food down his fellow firefighters' gullets, he enjoys sailing and sampling the finest of scotches and wines, and has an irrational love affair with opera.
- Author(s)Steven W Siler
- PublisherOn Demand Publishing, LLC-Create Space
- Date of Publication19/02/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOn Demand Publishing, LLC-Create Space
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight77 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.