All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
About this product
- DescriptionThe Signs of the Times by Brian D. Stenfors, describes and analyzes Sir Leslie Stephen's (1832-1904) bi-monthly letters (from 1866-1873) to the American periodical, The Nation. In this ground-breaking interdisciplinary study - of interest to literary and historical scholars and students of nineteenth-century Anglo-American relations, literature, international relations and journalism - the author provides a comprehensive survey of Stephen's Nation articles which demonstrate Stephen's efforts to interpret a critical reform period in English history for his American readers and a significant aspect of Anglo-American intellectual exchange. By allowing Stephen to speak for himself, the author places Stephen within the social climate and intellectual context of his time and evaluates Stephen's prescient political, social and religious views in relation to current British historiography. The five dominant issues of the period, chosen by Stephen to give his American audience a sense of the prevailing tone of feeling in England, when Anglo-American relations - due to the American Civil War - were at an all time low, resonate with relevance today. These signs of the times - political reform; the disestablishment of the Church of England; educational reform; social and ecomic concerns; and foreign colonial affairs, including Ireland - serve as the organizing themes of this book.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Brian D. Stenfors is Director of Development at the Music Academy of the West, Santa Barbara, California. A graduate of Drew University's innovative Ph.D. Program in Nineteenth-Century Studies (The Formation of Modern Culture), he has utilized the knowledge and critical skills gained from this experience to foster the ideals and vision of a free and democratic society by working in the not-for-profit sector, hoping to help assure that both individual expression and the arts, especially classical music, remain essential parts of American society and everyday life.
- Author(s)Brian D Stenfors
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies Series 4: English Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number147
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1996
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight540 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.