All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.15
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.33
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.66
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.03
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.12
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.03
- AU $49.55Trending at AU $56.09
About this product
- DescriptionPhotonics is a key techlogy of this century. The combination of photonics and silicon techlogy is of great importance because of the potentiality of coupling electronics and optical functions on a single chip. Many experimental and theoretical studies have been performed to understand and design the photonic properties of silicon nacrystals. Generation of light in silicon is a challenging perspective in the field; however, the issue of light-emitting devices does t limit the activity in the field. Research is also focused on light modulators, optical waveguides and interconnectors, optical amplifiers, detectors, memory elements, photonic crystals, etc. A particularly important task of silicon nastructures is to generate electrical energy from solar light. Understanding the optical properties of silicon-based materials is central in designing photonic components. It is t possible to control the optical properties of naparticles without fundamental information on their microscopic structure, which explains a large number of theoretical works on this subject. Many fundamental and practical problems should be solved in order to develop this techlogy. In addition to open fundamental questions, it is even more difficult to develop the kwn experimental results towards practical realization. However, the world market for silicon photonics is expected to be huge; thus, more research activity in the field of silicon naphotonics is expected in the future. This book describes different aspects of silicon naphotonics, from fundamental issues to practical devices. The second edition is essentially different from the book published in 2008. Eight chapters of the first edition are t included in the new book, because the recent progress on those topics has t been large eugh. Instead, seven new chapters appear. The other eight chapters are essentially modified to describe recent achievements in the field.
- Author BiographyLeonid Khriachtchev graduated from the Leningrad State University, Russia, in 1981. He completed his PhD in quantum electronics in 1986 and became a senior scientist and group leader in 1988 in the Institute of Physics at the same university. At that time, his research dealt with resonant light pressure and optical pumping of the ground state of atoms in the gas phase. In 1994, he joined the University of Helsinki, Finland, and he is currently a senior scientist in the Department of Chemistry at this university. His scientific activities are focused on experimental spectroscopy of various molecular species and nanoscale materials. He has contributed to the construction of new chemical systems at low temperatures, including noble-gas compounds and high-energy conformers. Silicon-based photonics has been another important part of his research activity. He is the editor of Silicon Nanophotonics: Basic Principles, Present Status, and Perspectives (Pan Stanford Publishing, 2008) and Physics and Chemistry at Low Temperatures (Pan Stanford Publishing, 2011). He is also the author of over 240 refereed articles.
- Author(s)Leonid Khriachtchev
- PublisherPan Stanford Publishing Pte Ltd
- Date of Publication29/07/2016
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintPan Stanford Publishing Pte Ltd
- Content Note128 black & white illustrations, 39 colour illustrations
- Weight858 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.