Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $33.74Trending at AU $36.81
- AU $41.77Trending at AU $42.41
- AU $15.67Trending at AU $19.27
- AU $19.93Trending at AU $31.75
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $40.31
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $13.16
- AU $33.82Trending at AU $35.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe lure of gold in the American West beckoned to thousands of hungry settlers eager to stake a claim, reap the abundant wealth of the territory, and escape often difficult financial conditions at home, whether in Eastern cities, Europe or China. These prospectors found that Western gold and silver veins were elusive and subject to dry up with little tice. Forced to move often in search of the next big lode, they left behind them hundreds of mining camps and settlements, many of which still exist across the Western landscape. This reference work catalogues silver and gold mining camps state-by-state in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Each entry includes location, names of miners kwn to have worked the site, year of discovery, and ore value. Unique details of each camp are given, including historical facts, buildings and businesses present, and, frequently, interesting anecdotes about the resident miners. The work is indexed by topic and mine, and appendices offer a glossary and a copy of the Miners' Ten Commandments, originally published in the Placerville (California) Herald in 1853.
- Author BiographyA member of the American Name Society, Sandy Nestor lives in Medford, Oregon, USA.
- Author(s)Sandy Nestor
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.