All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionIn his own time, the court wit Sir Charles Sedley (1639-1701) was praised for his poetic skill rather than for his dramatic talent. Yet, as this old-spelling critical edition of his two comedies shows, Sedley was also a satirist whose plays are worth reading along with the ones of his more celebrated fellow-artists Etherege, Wycherley, and Shadwell. After a biographical introduction, a detailed analysis of the plays and characters concentrates on Sedley's satiric strategies which lambaste the marriage of convenience as well as the conduct of a hypocritical and materialistic society.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Holger Hanowell was born in Muenster in 1969. He studied English as well as History at the University of Muenster, and the University of Sheffield. He took his M.A. in 1997, and his Ph.D. in 2000. From 1997 to 2000, he worked for the Handbuch der Historischen Buchbestaende at Muenster University under the supervision of Professor Bernhard Fabian.
- Author(s)Holger Hanowell
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/03/2001
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleMunsteraner Monographien Zur Englischen Literatur / Munster Monographs on English Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number25
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight530 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.