All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.12Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionSir Vidia's Shadow is a book that chronicles bestselling author Paul Theroux's long friendship with writer V.S Naipaul from its beginning to untimely end with both funny and moving moments and stark honesty. 'Both unputdownable and utterly engaging' Jonathan Raban, The Times Literary Supplement 'I started reading Theroux Sir Vidia's Shadow, the story of his friendship with V.S. Naipaul over thirty years and five continents. I couldn't, as they say, put it down. I don't kw of a more revealing study of the peculiar nature of friendship between professional writers, an unstable compound of empathy, solidarity and rivalry' David Lodge, Guardian Books of the Year 'Thoroughly compelling. We can call it a memoir, or a biographical sketch, but it has more in it - more candour, more intensity, more angry puzzlement - than we would rmally expect from either of these genres' Sunday Telegraph 'The portrait of Naipaul that emerged is uproariously believable...most people are damaged human beings. What distinguishes writers is that can turn their damage into something life-enhancing. That is what Sir Vidia's Shadow resplendently does' John Carey, Sunday Times American travel writer Paul Theroux is kwn for the rich descriptions of people and places that is often streaked with his distinctive sense of irony; his other n-fiction titles, Riding the Iron Rooster, The Happy Isles of Oceania, Sunrise with Seamonsters, The Kingdom by the Sea, The Tao of Travel, Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, The Old Patagonian Express, The Great Railway Bazaar, Dark Star Safari, Fresh-air Fiend, The Pillars of Hercules, and his vels and collections of short stories, including the James Tait Black Memorial Prize winner The Mosquito Coast are available from Penguin.
- Author BiographyPaul Theroux has written many works of fiction and travel writing, including the modern classics The Great Railway Bazaar, The Old Patagonian Express, My Secret History and The Mosquito Coast. Paul Theroux divides his time between Cape Cod and the Hawaiian islands. His most recent work is Deep South, which is published by Hamish Hamilton.
- Author(s)Paul Theroux
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication04/08/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight277 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.