All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDorothy May Kinnicutt (Sister to her family and friends) was born into a patrician New York family in 1910 and spent her privileged early life at the right schools, yacht clubs and coming-out parties. Compelled to work during the lean years of the Depression, Sister combined her innate design ability with her high-echelon social connections to create an extraordinarily successful interior decorating business. The Parish-Hadley firms list of clients reads like an American Who's Who, starting with Rockefellers, Astors, Whitneys, Paleys and Kennedys. She helped Jacqueline Kennedy transform the White House from a fusty hodgepodge into a historically authentic symbol of American elegance. For her clients, she was an indispensable presence, both in their salons and designing them. Sisters style, marked by cosy, airy, colourful but understated elegance, came to be kwn as American country, and its influence continues to this day. Compiled by Apple Parish Bartlett (one of Sisters daughters) and Susan Bartlett Crater (a granddaughter) from Sisters own unpublished memoirs, as well as from hundreds of interviews with family members, friends, staff, world-rewned interior designers (Mark Hampton, Mario Buatta, Keith Irvine, Bunny Williams and Sisters long-time partner Albert Hadley, among many others) and clients (Annette de la Renta, Glenn Bernbaum, Mrs. Tom Watson, et al.), Sister Parish takes the reader right into the houses and the lives of some of the most fascinating and famous people of this inimitable woman's time.
- Author Biography<b>Apple Parish Bartlett</b> is an artist; her work has been exhibited throughout the United States. The owner of the gift shop Apples on the island of Islesboro, Maine, she divides her time between Boston and Islesboro. <b>Susan Bartlett Crater</b> is an artist and co-owner of Sister Parish Design (www.sisterparishdesign.com), the company she and Libby Cameron, Mrs. Parish s last protege, founded in 2000. Created to carry on Sister Parish s legacy, the firm offers fabrics and wallpapers from Mrs. Parish s and the Parish-Hadley Associates archives, as well as a home collection that incorporates Sister Parish Design s fabric patterns and aesthetic into home staples. She lives outside of New York City with her husband and two children.
- Author(s)Apple Parish Bartlett,Susan Bartlett Crater
- PublisherVendome Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVendome Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight600 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.