All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.69
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $47.88
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.60
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1500, most of Ireland lay outside the ambit of English royal power. Only a small area around Dublin was directly administered by the crown. The rest of the island was run in more or less automous fashion by Anglo-Norman magnates or Gaelic chieftains. By 1600, there had been a huge extension of English royal power. First, the influence of the semi-independent magnates was broken; second, in the 1590s crown forces successfully fought a war against the last of the old Gaelic strongholds in Ulster. The secular conquest of Ireland was, therefore, accomplished in the course of the century. But the Reformation made little headway. The Anglo-Norman community remained stubbornly Catholic, as did the Gaelic nation. Their loss of political influence did t result in the expropriation of their lands. Most property still remained in Catholic hands. England's failure to effect a revolution in church as well as in state meant that the conquest of Ireland was incomplete.The seventeenth century, with its wars of religion, was the consequence. 'Colm Lenn's achievement is to bring alive the physical and mental complexities of the island with which the Tudor administrators repeatedly wrestled' - Irish Historical Review.
- Author BiographyProf Colm Lennon recently retired as Professor of History in the National University of Ireland (NUI Maynooth). Author of numerous publications and books, including John Rocque's Dublin: a guide to the Georgian city, Sixteenth-Century Ireland, and Confraternities and Sodalities in Ireland: Charity, Devotion and Sociability.
- Author(s)Colm Lennon
- Date of Publication27/09/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintGill & Macmillan Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight587 g
- Width138 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.