All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is here written was chiefly for my own satisfaction, and in the hope that in coming years its perusal might give pleasure to my relatives and friends. Nothing was intended but a private journal, and thought of publication was ever intended. It sees the light very unexpectedly. My object in furnishing it is neither ostentatious r pecuniary, but simply to gratify others who have urged me to have it given a more permanent from. My comrades in the old Army of the Valley, who followed the varying fortunes of General Early, and the unfortunate sufferers who were in prison with me during the last unhappy months of our valiant but vain struggle for independence, will excuse the numerous personal items so natural to a private diary. It was written while I was quite young - a mere boy; and the indulgent readers of these Papers will bear in mind that thing was written for effect, but all in truth and sincerity, and at the time the events related were fresh in my memory. Style I could t study. My language is - Warm from the heart, and faithful to its fires, the spontaneous utterances of a young soldier's thoughts. The fact that while writing I never dreamed of its ever being published may add to its interest. The pleasure of business engagements prevents my copying the diary, and my readers are indebted to the industry of my wife, who has kindly undertaken to prepare it in the proper form for publication.
- Author BiographyRobert Emory Park served as Captain of the Alabama 12th Infantry Regiment. Born- January 13, 1843, LaGrange, Ga. Parents- John (founder of LaGrange College) and Sarah (Neary) Park. Married- Stella Swanson; Married- Ella H. Holt (died 1890)- Two children; Married- Emily Hendree Stewart, April 27, 1892. Education- Attended Greenville Academy and Brownwood Institute in LaGrange; Emory University and Alabama A & M College (Auburn). Served as a captain in the 12th Alabama Regiment, C.S.A.; wounded and captured, September 19, 1864. Taught at Tuskegee High School; principal of the Lucas Institute at Mt. Meigs; principal of La Grange High School. Moved to Macon, Georgia, in 1872, and worked as agent for a publishing firm; elected Georgia State Treasurer in 1900 and served until his death in 1909. Member State Agricultural Society, Masons, and other civic organizations. Trustee of Emory College and Wesleyan Female College, Macon. Awarded honorary degrees by both Emory and Auburn. Died May 7, 1909.
- Author(s)Robert Emory Park
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication22/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.