All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFeaturing hundreds of carefully hand-crafted illustrations by the internationally rewned production designer Hans Bacher, Sketchbook - Composition Studies for Film is a unique journey through the mind and creative process of one of the artistic legends in animation film design. Having shaped such films as The Lion King, Mulan and Beauty and the Beast to name a few, Hans's work is a part of the very cultural fabric of our age. Here the artist puts on display the rarely discussed first part of image making for film, the conceptual thumbnail. Exquisitely beautiful in themselves, these small illustrations represent the birth of what eventually becomes the iconic images we experience on the silver screen. Essential to anyone interested in understanding the skeletal structure that exists underneath stunning imagery in all forms of media, this book is especially relevant today with the dramatic increase of interest in film and game design. Although students today have ready access to and an understanding of technical aspects of the craft using associated software, the area most lacking in accessible information is this quintessential first part of thumb-nailing an image. This unique book will provide the student and professional with the fundamentals of conceptualizing images, and how these can be used in composition in the related fields of illustration, graphic vels, 2D animation, 3D animation, photography and cinematography.
- Author BiographyProduction designer Hans Bacher is acknowledged as one of the legends in animation film design. His work with Walt Disney Feature Animation, Richard Williams, and Steven Spielberg's Amblimation saw him creating the production design for such historic films as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Balto, Hercules, Fantasia 2000, Little Match Girl, Brother Bear, Lilo and Stitch and Mulan amongst others. He is a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and has been honored with the Golden Camera Award and an Annie for outstanding individual achievement in Production Design. He now lives in Singapore were he teaches as Nanyang Technological University.
- Author(s)Hans P. Bacher
- PublisherLaurence King Publishing
- Date of Publication11/05/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2015
- ImprintLaurence King Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width282 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.