Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.98Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by countryhouselibrary
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is Sunday Times Bestseller. It is Book of the Week on Radio 4. A beautiful book about a part of the modern world which remains genuinely magical. (Mark Haddon). One of the most constantly fascinating, but consistently under-appreciated aspects of modern life is the business of flying. Mark Vanhoenacker has written the ideal book on the subject: a description of what it's like to fly by a commercial pilot who is also a master prose stylist and a deeply sensitive human being. This is a man who is at once a technical expert - he flies 747s across continents - and a poet of the skies. This couldn't be more highly recommended. (Alain de Botton). Think back to when you first flew. When you first left the Earth, and travelled high and fast above its turning arc. When you looked down on a new world, captured simply and perfectly through a window fringed with ice. When you descended towards a city, and arrived from the sky as effortlessly as daybreak. In Skyfaring, airline pilot and flight romantic Mark Vanhoenacker shares his irrepressible love of flying, on a journey from day to night, from new ways of map making and the poetry of physics to the names of winds and the nature of clouds. Here, anew, is the simple wonder that remains at the heart of an experience which modern travellers, armchair and otherwise, all too easily take for granted: the transcendent joy of motion, and the remarkable new perspectives that height and distance bestow on everything we love. A beautiful, contemplative book...What Skyfaring gives is something we need: elevation; ather perspective...Normally when I find a volume where prose style and subject matter fuse so pleasingly, I tear through it in a day. Here, I found myself pausing on almost every page, as I absorbed its detail or phrasing. (Nicholas Lezard, Guardian). It is a 2015 Book of the Year - The Ecomist, The New York Times, GQ and more.
- Author BiographyMark Vanhoenacker left academia to work as a management consultant, a position that afforded him regular opportunities to stare out of aeroplane windows and recall childhood dreams of becoming a pilot. He began his flight training in 2001. Today, as a Senior First Officer for British Airways, Mark flies Boeing 747s to major cities around the world. He is also a regular contributor to the New York Times and Slate. When his head is not in the clouds, he divides his time between London and New York.
- PrizesShortlisted for Warwick Prize for Writing 2015.
- Author(s)Mark Vanhoenacker
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight250 g
- Width128 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.