All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the moment the first player steps onto the ice, every conceivable principle of science is in play. To understand hockey - fully understand it - Alain Hache argues that you must first learn how ice reacts to a passing blade, how the trajectory and aerodynamics of the puck affect its chances of getting into the net, how the tension on the stick transfers energy to the puck, and dozens of other details of the game. Slap Shot Science is an under-the-hood, behind-the-scenes, action-packed romp through special moments in the game as seen from the perspective of science and explained in a way everyone can understand. Among the topics Hache discusses are the differences between real ice and synthetic ice, the perfect amount of sharpness for a skate, how goalies can make spectacular saves even though the puck is traveling 100 miles per hour, whether players are skating faster today than in years past, and how equipment prevents many serious injuries. Slap Shot Science shows us how statistics can predict future performance by players and teams and why they can also be misused in many ways. By the close of the book you'll see hockey in a more sophisticated and scientific light, and the reasons things happen the way they do will be clearer than ever.
- Author BiographyAlain Hache is a professor of physics and astronomy at the Universite de Moncton. He is the author of The Physics of Hockey.
- Author(s)Alain Hache
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication27/11/2015
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note66, 20 black & white illustrations, 46 black & white line drawings
- Weight227 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.08Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.37Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.