All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfrican slavery was pervasive in Spain's Atlantic empire yet remained in the margins of the imperial ecomy until the end of the eighteenth century when the plantation revolution in the Caribbean colonies put the slave traffic and the plantation at the center of colonial exploitation and conflict. The international group of scholars brought together in this volume explain Spain's role as a colonial pioneer in the Atlantic world and its latecomer status as a slave-trading, plantation-based empire. These contributors map the broad contours and transformations of slave-trafficking, the plantation, and antislavery in the Hispanic Atlantic while also delving into specific topics that include: the institutional and ecomic foundations of colonial slavery; the law and religion; the influences of the Haitian Revolution and British abolitionism; antislavery and proslavery movements in Spain; race and citizenship; and the business of the illegal slave trade.
- Author BiographyJosep M. Fradera is Professor of History at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra and a researcher at the Institucio Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avancats (ICREA). He is the author of Colonias para despues de un imperio (2005). Christopher Schmidt-Nowara is Professor of History and Prince of Asturias Chair in Spanish Culture & Civilization at Tufts University. He is the author of Slavery, Freedom, and Abolition in Latin America and the Atlantic World (2011).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication22/07/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleEuropean Expansion & Global Interaction
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note18 figs & tables, 5 maps, bibliog., index
- Weight626 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byChristopher Schmidt-Nowara,Josep M. Fradera
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.