All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.63
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $86.12
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
About this product
- DescriptionThere was a time when one burned hotter than Eve Babitz. Possessing skin that radiated its own kind of moral laws, spectacular teeth, and a figure that was the stuff of legend, she seduced seemingly everyone who was anyone in Los Angeles for a long stretch of the 1960s and 70s. But there was one man who proved elusive, and so Babitz did what she did best, she wrote him a book. She also pulled off a remarkable sleight of hand: Slow Days, Fast Company far exceeds its mash-te premise. It is a full-fledged and full-bodied evocation of a bygone Southern California. In ten sun-baked, Santa Ana wind-swept sketches, Babitz recreates a Los Angeles of movie stars distraught over their success, socialites on three-day drug binges, evading their East Coast banking husbands, soap-opera actors worried that tomorrow's script will kill them off, Italian femme fatales even more fatal than she is. And she even leaves LA sometimes, spending an afteron at the house of flawless Orange County suburbanites, a day among the grape pickers of the Central Valley, a weekend in Palm Springs where her dreams of romance fizzle and her only solace is Virginia Woolf. In the end it doesn't matter if Babitz ever gets the guy - she seduces us.
- Author BiographyEve Babitz is the author of several books of fiction, including Sex and Rage: Advice to Young Ladies Eager for a Good Time; L.A. Woman; and Black Swans: Stories. Her nonfiction works include Fiorucci, The Book and Two by Two: Tango, Two-Step, and the L.A. Night. She has written for publications including Ms. and Esquire and in the late 1960s designed album covers for the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and Linda Ronstadt. NYRB Classics also publishes Eve's Hollywood.
- Author(s)Eve Babitz
- PublisherThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Weight191 g
- Width128 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.