All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.83Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
About this product
- DescriptionWhile much has been written about rural migrant workers' experiences in the big cities, population movements into China's vast network of towns and small cities has been largely neglected. This book presents a detailed case study of rural migrant workers experiences in a small town in a rth China county. The author explores the processes and institutions that enable or preclude the social inclusion of rural workers into the town's socio-ecomic system. Inclusion and exclusion are assessed through an examination of rural workers' immersion into the urban labour market, their access to welfare benefits and to social services, such as housing, education and health. The book proposes that outside the larger cities there are alternative accounts of urban social change and of the integration of rural migrant workers. It stresses the fact that the particular socio-ecomic structure of towns, where the state-owned share of the ecomy has been smaller and where consequently social and private forces have been more active, allowed for a more open inclusion of rural workers. Though shortcomings are still observed, the book suggests that China's transformation may t necessarily result in dysfunctional and socially polarized urban environments. This book will be of interest to students and scholars of China's rural migrant workers, bottom-up urbanization and small town development, social policy, and more broadly on contemporary social change in China.
- Author(s)Beatriz Carrillo Garcia
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication04/03/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 21 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.