Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
About this product
- DescriptionMultimedia, simulation, computer-mediated communication networks, and distance learning have all become part of the educational toolkit. The next major techlogy to change the face of education will be based on the widespread use of artificial intelligence (AI). Progress in AI has led to a deeper understanding of how to represent kwledge, to reason, and to describe procedural kwledge. Progress in cognitive science has led to a deeper understanding of how people think, solve problems, and learn. AI scientists use results from cognitive science to create software with more humanlike abilities, which can help students learn better. This book looks at some of the results of this synergy among AI, cognitive science, and education. Examples include virtual students whose misconceptions force students to reflect on their own kwledge, intelligent tutoring systems, and speech recognition techlogy that helps students learn to read. Some of the systems described are already used in classrooms and have been evaluated; a few are still laboratory efforts. The book also addresses cultural and political issues involved in the deployment of new educational techlogies.
- Author BiographyKenneth D. Forbus is Professor of Computer Science and Education at Northwestern University. He is the author of Building Problem Solvers (MIT Press, 1993). Paul J. Feltovich is Professor of Medical Education and Psychiatry at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. He is the coeditor of Expertise in Context (AAAI Press/MIT Press, 1997).
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication09/11/2001
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Series TitleAdvances in Materials Science and Engineering
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAAAI Press
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byKenneth D. Forbus,Paul J. Feltovich
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.