Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $24.56Trending at AU $25.10
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionA brilliant first collection from the man John Hegley calls 'the cream of Devon poets' In 2002, as an alternative means of therapy to excessive drinking and jay-walking in South London traffic, George Chopping started writing. At first he kept a journal, ting daily observations and recording a satirical account of his views of society and of his place within it. A year and two very short stories later, he had discovered his passion for words, and particularly poetry. Poems, after all, are even shorter short stories - and he's self-confessedly 'quite lazy'. Lightheartedly describing his experiences of living with Crohn's disease, drifting in and out of minimum wage jobs, spying on waterfowl from his narrowboat home, and peoplewatching in pubs, shops, trains and cafes, George Chopping's poems appealed to everyone who heard him read them - even those who did t consider themselves poetically inclined. Soon, he found himself on stage so frequently that he was able to give up his glittering career as a shelf filler for a major supermarket and become a full-time poet, performing his work around the country - which people seemed to like. 'Flailing around in the pits of illiteracy,' he says, 'I make up my own words and often misspell or poorly punctuate those that are already in existence. But with the cliched excuse of poetic license I continue to scrawl. My inspiration continues to be drawn from observing the oxymoronic beauty of British society on land in contrast to the more functional and humane fowl on the waterways.'
- Author BiographyGeorge is a poet from Torquay. A few years ago he left a glittering career as a shelf filler for a major supermarket and began to perform his work around the country, which people seem to like. George has lots of swimming certificates but since he's been defecating into a bag he tends not to swim so much. He has a strong dislike for people sitting next to him on trains whilst he writes and will only attend weddings that have a spit-roasted suckling pig and an unlimited supply of fresh baps. He has a full driving license with lots of endorsements, a Welcome Host Certificate, seven GCSEs at grade C, Crohn's Disease and, at times, very low self esteem.
- Author(s)George Chopping
- Date of Publication08/08/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date05/01/2017
- Weight167 g
- Width137 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.