All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSnail Down is an Early Bronze Age barrow cemetery on Salisbury Plain, located eight miles rth-east of Stonehenge. Thirty-three mounds include examples of almost every type of Wessex barrow: bowl, bell, disc, saucer and pond type have all been excaveted there between 1953-7. The preferred burial rite at the site was cremation and disposal in burial pits. The land surrounding the cemetery is covered with the remains of ancient enclosures, ditches and other signs of habitation, suggesting that this area was in use for the last two millennia BC. This publication presents detailed analysis of an extraordinary variety of finds, backed up with illustrative material.
- Author BiographyProf. Dr. Nicholas Thomas was an undergraduate at the Australian National University from 1979 to 1982; his BA (Honours) thesis, on Fijian politics, was supervised by Anthony Forge. He visited the Pacific first in 1984 to undertake doctoral research in the Marquesas Islands and has since written extensively on exploration and cross-cultural encounters and on art histories in the Pacific. He has been Director of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology in Cambridge since 2006. Key publications: 2016, (with Maia Nuku, Julie Adams, Billie Lythberg and Amiria Salmond) Artefacts of Encounter: Cook's Voyages, Colonial Collecting and Museum Histories. Otago: Otago University Press. 2016, The return of curiosity: what museums are good for in the twenty first century. London: Reaktion / Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 2012, (with Peter Brunt, Sean Mallon, Lissant Bolton, Deidre Brown, Damian Skinner and Susanne Kuechler) Art in Oceania: a new history. London: Thames and Hudson / New Haven: Yale University Press. Awarded the Art Book Prize
- Author(s)Keith Thomas,Nicholas Thomas
- PublisherWiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society
- Date of Publication30/07/2005
- Place of PublicationWiltshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.16
- AU $43.35Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $37.27
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.24
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $79.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.