All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor most of us, snails do t elicit feelings of warmth or affection. Apart from our repugnance at its appearance, our relationship with the snail has been influenced by the harm it has inflicted over the years on our garden seedlings. With Snail , Peter Williams wishes to change our perspectives on this little but much maligned creature. Beginning with an overview of our relationship with snails, slugs and sea-snails, Williams goes on to examine snail evolution; snail behaviour and habitat; snails as food, medicine and the source of useful chemicals and dyes; snail shells as collectible objects; and snails in literature, art and popular culture. The book concludes with a plea for a reconsideration of the snail as a dignified, ancient creature that deserves our respect, rather than one to be thoughtlessly squashed underfoot after a shower of rain. Containing many surprising and beautiful illustrations, and a collection of recipes for those brave eugh to try them, Snail will help readers get beyond the shell and slime to discover the fascinating creature inside.
- Author BiographyPeter Williams is Vice President of the Medical Defence Union. He lives in Oxford.
- Author(s)Dr. Peter Williams
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication11/09/2009
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Series TitleAnimal
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note27 black & white illustrations, 59 colour illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.