All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom bestselling author Michael McGirr comes Soze, a revised edition of the entertaining and enlightening The Lost Art of Sleep (2009). Michael always had trouble sleeping, but the arrival of twins made him realise he'd never kwn true exhaustion. While he celebrated these small children who brought him so much joy, he also found himself desperately searching for a few extra winks a night. In Soze, McGirr delves into the mysterious world of sleep: its many benefits, its stubborn elusiveness and what our brains get up to while we're in bed. He takes readers on a tour through the odd sleep patterns of some of history's greatest figures, including Plato and Homer, Shakespeare and Dickens, Florence Nightingale (who slept a great deal) and Thomas Edison (who hardly slept at all). He looks at the demise of sleep in our ever more fragmented world, and what that means for everyone from average sleepers to those with serious sleep disorders. And he describes his own family's quest to master the ancient art of getting a decent kip. A profound and humorous exploration of the precious resource of sleep-and the causes and consequences of getting too little of it-Soze is the perfect book for sleepless nights.
- Author BiographyMichael McGirr is the bestselling author of Things You Get for Free and Bypass: The Story of a Road, a popular Year 12 English text in Victoria. He has reviewed more than nine hundred books for the Age, Sydney Morning Herald and Canberra Times; his short fiction has appeared in numerous publications in Australia and overseas; and he has been the publisher of Eureka Street and fiction editor of Meanjin. He currently teaches literature and philosophy at St Kevin's College in Melbourne. Michael's expertise in the area of sleep derives not only from having several sleep disorders but also from having three children.
- Author(s)Michael McGirr
- PublisherText Publishing Co
- Date of Publication19/06/2017
- SubjectUnclassifiable: no BIC
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2017
- ImprintThe Text Publishing Company
- Weight360 g
- Width155 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.50
- AU $13.67Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.18
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $17.69
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.32
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.30
- AU $30.76Trending at AU $35.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.