CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Gao Xingjian, a winner of the 2000 Nobel Prize for Literature, comes a major drama about life.Sw in August blends Eastern and Western cultures. In form, there are elements of Shakespearean and Greek tragedy, but in spirit, it embodies a uniquely Eastern sensibility. --Gao XingjianSw in August is based on the life of Huineng (AD 633-713), the Sixth Patriarch of Zen Buddhism in Tang Dynasty China. Packed with the myriad sights and sounds of both the Eastern and Western theatrical traditions, the play exudes wonder and mysticism. The many koan cases and the story of Huineng's enlightenment afford the audience fascinating vignettes of Gao's vision of life and existence [w an awareness of the Void and the need for a personal peace with oneself.
- Author BiographyGilbert C.F. Fong is a professor at the Department of Translation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He is the translator of The Other Shore: Plays by Gao Xingjian (The Chinese University Press, 1999), and also editor of Hong Kong Drama Review, Journal of Translation Studies and several books on Chinese and Hong Kong drama.
- Author(s)Professor Gao Xingjian,Xingjian Gao
- PublisherThe Chinese University Press
- Date of Publication02/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintThe Chinese University Press
- Weight213 g
- Width157 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Translated byProfessor Gilbert C F Fong
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.