All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Now a<i>New York Times</i>bestseller and from the author of The Psychopath Test, a captivating and brilliant exploration of one of our world's most underappreciated forces: shame.<i>'It's about the terror, isn't it?' 'The terror of what?' I said. 'The terror of being found out.'For the past three years, Jon Ronson has travelled the world meeting recipients of high-profile public shamings. The shamed are people like us - people who, say, made a joke on social media that came out badly, or made a mistake at work. Once their transgression is revealed, collective outrage circles with the force of a hurricane and the next thing they kw they're being torn apart by an angry mob, jeered at, demonized, sometimes even fired from their job. A great renaissance of public shaming is sweeping our land. Justice has been democratized. The silent majority are getting a voice. But what are we doing with our voice? We are mercilessly finding people's faults. We are defining the boundaries of rmality by ruining the lives of those outside it. We are using shame as a form of social control. Simultaneously powerful and hilarious in the way only Jon Ronson can be, <i>So You've Been Publicly Shamed</i>is a deeply honest book about modern life, full of eye-opening truths about the escalating war on human flaws - and the very scary part we all play in it.
- Author Biography<b><b>Jon Ronson</b></b> s books include the<i>New York Times</i>bestsellers<i>The Psychopath Test</i>and<i>Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries, </i>and international bestsellers<i>Them: Adventures with Extremists</i>and<i>The Men Who Stare at Goats</i>. He also cowrote the screenplay for<i>Frank</i>, which will be released in theaters August 2014, and which stars Michael Fassbender and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Ronson is a regular contributor to<i>This American Life</i>and lives in London and New York City.
- Author(s)Jon Ronson
- PublisherRiverhead Books
- Date of Publication29/03/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.92Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.