All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on recent socio-cultural approaches to research on language learning and an extensive corpus of classroom video recording made over four years, the book documents language learning as an epiphemen of peer face-to-face interaction. Advanced techlogy for recording classroom interaction (6 cameras per classroom) allows the research to move the focus for analysis off the teacher and onto learners as they engage in dyadic interaction. The research uses methods from conversation analysis with longitudinal data to document practices for interaction between learners and how those practices change over time. Language learning is seen in learners' change in participation in their in social actions that occur around and within teacher-assigned language learning tasks (starting the task, n-elicited story tellings within tasks, and ending tasks). Web links are provided so the reader can see the data from the classroom that is the subject of the analyses.
- Author BiographyJohn Hellermann is an Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics at Portland State University where he was a researcher for the National Labiste for Adult ESOL for four years. He previously taught in public school and community college settings in Wisconsin and Hungary. His research has investigated the prosodic organization of classroom talk, conversation analytic approaches to language learning, and immigrant identity and language learning.
- Author(s)John Hellermann
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication11/01/2008
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Series TitleNew Perspectives on Language and Education
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 6
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight373 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.