Social Development, Social Inequalities, and Social Justice by Cecilia Wainryb, Judith G. Smetana, Elliot Turiel (Hardback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $156.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $71.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume considers previously separate bodies of research on social justice, social equality, and social development. Eminent scholars from a variety of disciplines discuss the latest research to help us understand the relation between social inequalities and social development. In so doing, the book documents the powerful ways that social inequalities frame development and explores the conflicts that arise in the context of these inequalities. It illustrates how people around the world make judgments about these conditions and how they resist or change the practices they deem unjust. By bringing together these perspectives, the editors hope to demonstrate how understanding social development carries with it the possibility of change and social justice. The book considers processes of social development. It examines Piaget's ideas about morality and relates them to children's thinking about social rights. An interdisciplinary review of research from developmental, social, and health psychology, social policy, anthropology, and philosophy, follows this introduction. Each contributor examines the historical, developmental, and social processes that influence beliefs regarding social justice and equality and the consequences of living in conditions of injustice. The book considers: * Inequalities in educational and health care opportunities. * Unequal rights and harassment and their effects on mirities. * The hardships and inequalities encountered by women. Intended for researchers and advanced students in developmental, social, cultural, and health psychology, policy, anthropology, and philosophy interested in a world that is socially just.
- Author BiographyCecilia Wainryb is Professor of Psychology at the University of Utah. Her research focuses on children's understandings of moral conflicts in interpersonal and political contexts. Judith Smetana is Professor of Psychology and Director of the Developmental Psychology Ph.D. Program at the University of Rochester. Her research focuses on adolescent-parent relationships in ethnic and cultural contexts, children's moral development, and parenting beliefs and practices. Elliot Turiel is Distinguished Professor of Education in the Graduate School of Education at the University of California, Berkeley as well as an Affiliate in the Department of Psychology and a member of the Institute of Human Development. His research focuses on social cognitive development and relations of social development and culture.
- Author(s)Cecilia Wainryb,Elliot Turiel,Judith G. Smetana
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleJean Piaget Symposia Series
- Series Part/Volume Number40
- Place of PublicationMahwah
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byCecilia Wainryb,Elliot Turiel,Judith G. Smetana
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.76Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $10.51Trending at AU $14.49
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.