All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $19.05Trending at AU $23.14
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing the Arab Spring, the use of social media has become instrumental in organising activist movements and spreading political dissent in the Middle East. New online behaviours have transformed traditional communication channels, enabling young people of all backgrounds to feel politically empowered. But w that spring has turned to winter, what are the long-term implications of internet activism in the region? Social Media in the Arab World provides a unique insight into the role of online communications as a force for change in the Gulf States. Featuring examples as diverse as neo-patrimonial politics in Saudi Arabia and the ways an online presence affects the status of women in Kuwait, the chapters examine shifts in the political, social and religious identities of citizens as a result of increased digital activism. With contributions from a variety of inter-disciplinary experts, this wide-ranging study examines the consequences of changing power dynamics brought about by popular social media. In doing so, this book offers an original perspective on the long-term implications of internet usage in the Arab world and is essential reading for students and researchers working across the region.
- Author BiographyBarrie Gunter is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Media and Communication, University of Leicester. He was a founding Professor of the Department of Journalism Studies, University of Sheffield, and then, as Professor of Mass Communications and Head of Department, led the re-launch of the Centre of Mass Communication Research at the Department of Media and Communication, University of Leicester.Mokhtar Elareshi is a Lecturer in Media and Communication Studies. He has taught at the University of Tripoli, Libya, when he was also a former Head of the Department of Media at Azzaytuna University 2003 2006.
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/04/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight499 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBarrie Gunter,Khalid Al-Jaber,Mokhtar Elareshi
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.