All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book won the Erving Goffman Award for Outstanding Scholarship in the Ecology of Social Interaction 2014. Techlogical changes have radically altered the ways in which people use visual images. One such impact has been the transformation of computer-mediated-communication (CMC) into social networking. With a focus on social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, Second Life, and YouTube, this book describes the theoretical and historical background of computer-mediated communication alongside the cultural changes occurring with the introduction of digital media in society. Designed for students, this text introduces CMC termilogy, methods for analyzing online exchanges, and theories on the relationship between CMC, social networks, and culture. By exploring both the meanings associated with CMC and social networks, and the relationship of CMC to culture, the goal of this text is to provide students with methods to better understand the socially-oriented world in which they live and to understand the characteristics that make social networks successful. There are special features including terms, examples, CMC theory, and suggestions for student exercises.
- Author BiographySusan B. Barnes is a full professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Associate Director of the Lab for Social Computing at the Rochester Institute of Technology. She has received numerous grants for both applied and theoretical research on the impact of computers in society. Her publications include Online Connections: Internet Interpersonal Relationships (2001) and Computer-Mediated Communication: Human-to-Human Communication Across the Internet (2003), Web Research: Selecting, Evaluating & Citing with Marie Radford and Linda Barr (2002), and Mediated Interpersonal Communication with E. A. Konijn, S. Utz, M. Tanis (2008). This last book was the winner of a CHOICE Award and called the most significant study or interpersonal communication to appear in the past 50 years .
- Author(s)Susan B. Barnes
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication31/07/2013
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleDigital Formations
- Series Part/Volume Number84
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.16
- AU $43.35Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $37.27
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.24
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $79.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.