All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.78
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionThis book aims to expose an alternative local historical reading of the formation of a gecekondu space, a settlement of irregularly self-constructed habitats built by former peasants randomly over night. The social construction of the neighborhood space is narrated by means of insider perspectives and using qualitative techniques. In this reading, it will be made explicit that the dynamics of strategic interventions in local space, and tactical acts of the migrants in producing their locality are intertwined processes. The ethnic identities through sectarian and hometown affiliations have constituted the main means by which the migrants have developed certain tactics in dealing with the strategical acts on the vertical level (relations with the actors of urban planning and local politics) and other tactical acts on the horizontal level (relations with other sectarian and hometown groups in the locality).
- Author BiographyThe Author: Neslihan Demirtas mainly works on urban politics. Her research interests are politics of space/identity, neoliberal urban policies and peripheral low-income settlements. She completed her Ph.D. studies at Bilkent University (Turkey), Department of Political Science and has been a member of Izmir University of Economics (Turkey), Department of Media and Communication since 2005.
- Author(s)Neslihan Demirtas
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/12/2008
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies / Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 22: Soziologie/Series 22: Sociology/Serie 22: Sociologie
- Series Part/Volume Number427
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2008
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight330 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.