All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionJan Culiks book analyses the value system constructed by Czech feature films produced since the fall of communism in 1989. It provides an overview of some three hundred Czech feature films made during this period. Over fourteen chapters, the book shows how Czech film makers have dealt with the legacy of communism and other traumatic past experiences, and how they have borne witness to recent political and social developments in the Czech Republic. In Culiks view, Czech feature film constructs an image of society which is still heavily influenced by the so-called rmalisation regime of the 1970s and 1980s, which was created in Czechoslovakia after the 1968 Soviet invasion. Czech feature films bear witness to a society which suffers from fairly weak social and political structures. Many Czech films highlight the subordinate position of women in Czech society and project an image of impractical, inefficient, and aggressive men. In discussing the films, Culik uses the methodology of Cultural Studies, in which art is seen primarily as a specific kind of social communication within a certain cultural and historical context.
- Author BiographyJan Culik, is Senior Lecturer in Czech Studies at the University of Glasgow. He is the author of the first post-communist history of Czech independent literature and of monographs about Czech post communist feature film. The six contributors are specialists in the field of cultural studies, dealing with cinema and television broadcasting in Central and Eastern Europe. They work in the Czech Republic, Poland, Romania and the United Kingdom.
- Author(s)Jan Culik
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2014
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight740 g
- Width171 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.