Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionSociophonetics - the interface of sociolinguistics and phonetics - is a field that has expanded rapidly in recent years. A subject that requires both methodological and theoretical assessment for study, sociophonetics has never before been presented in a way that ties these fundamental strands together so successfully. This comprehensive and user friendly introduction seamlessly marries the dual cores of sociophonetics into one accessible text. In a methodical and structured approach, Sociophonetics: An Introduction: Provides detailed analysis of phonetic variables, discussing consonants, vowels, prosody and voice quality Includes clear and thorough explanations of how to measure linguistic phemena and conduct acoustic analyses and perception experiments Contains almost 200 illustrations of phonetic processes and 'field marks' for the examination of sociolinguistic variables Covers a variety of theoretical approaches, including exemplar theory and cognitive sociolinguistics Examines, through theoretical issues, how sociolinguistics, phonetics and cognitive linguistics are linked Thomas' invative and friendly introduction to sociophonetics presents both a guide for advanced beginners as well as a basis for further development of professional research.
- Author BiographyERIK R. THOMAS is Professor in the Department of English at North Carolina State University, USA. He has conducted research on various sociophonetic topics, including aspects of both production and perception. He is the author of An Acoustic Analysis of Vowel Variation in New World English and (with Walt Wolfram) The Development of Africa American English.
- Author(s)Erik Thomas
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication14/12/2010
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight669 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.