All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
About this product
- DescriptionSocrates and Legal Obligation was first published in 1981. Minnesota Archive Editions uses digital techlogy to make long-unavailable books once again accessible, and are published unaltered from the original University of Minnesota Press editions.Charged with impiety and sentenced to death under the law of Athens, Socrates did t try to disprove the charges or to escape death, but rather held to a different kind of rhetoric, aiming t at persuasion but at truth. In Socrates and Legal Obligation, R.E. Allen contends that Plato's works on Socrates' acceptance of death--the Apology and the Crito -- should be considered together and as such constitute a profound treatment of law and of obligation to law. Allen's study of Socrates' thought on these vital issues is accompanied by his own translations of the Apology and the Crito.
- Author BiographyR. E. Allen was a professor of philosophy and classics at Northwestern University. He is the editor of Studies in Plato's Metaphysics and author of Plato's Euthyphro and the Earlier Theory of Ideas.
- Author(s)R E Allen
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication02/01/1981
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Series TitleMinnesota Archive Editions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width147 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.