All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI looked around my cell and saw the sheet of paper taped to the door at chest height. It listed everything in the room, chair, bed, soldier box ...For a moment I thought it meant the cell itself; a box to put soldiers in. When the War on Terror began, Briton Joe Glenton felt compelled to serve his nation. He passed through basic training and deployed to Afghanistan in 2006. What he saw overseas left him disillusioned, and he returned home manifesting symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and becoming increasingly politicized. When he refused to return for a second tour, he was denied his right to object and called a coward and a malingerer. He went absent without leave and left the country, returning later to the U.K. voluntarily to campaign against the wars. The military accused him of desertion and threatened years in prison. Solder Box tells the story of Glenton's extraordinary journey from a promising soldier to a rebel against what he came to see as unjustified military action.
- Author BiographyJOE GLENTON was born in Norwich, Great Britain, in 1982. He joined the British Army in 2004. Since his release he has campaigned against the wars and has written for the Guardian, Mirror, New Internationalist, Military History Monthly, and Counterfire. He is currently studying International Relations.
- Author(s)Joe Glenton
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication08/05/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Weight245 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.