Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $10.40+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $5.07Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by importcds-au
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMy family doesn't do happy endings. We do sad endings or frustrating endings or endings at all. We are hardwired to expect the next interruption or disappearance or broken promise. Hope Solo is the face of the modern female athlete. She is fearless, outspoken, and the best in the world at what she does: protecting the goal of the U.S. women's soccer team. Her outsized talent has led her to the pinnacle of her sport - the Olympics and the World Cup - and made her into an international celebrity who is just as likely to appear on ABC's Dancing with the Stars as she is on the covers of Sports Illustrated, ESPN The Magazine, and Vogue. But her journey - which began in Richland, Washington, where she was raised by her strong-willed mother on the scorched earth of defunct nuclear testing sites - is similarly haunted by the fallout of her family history. Her father, a philanderer and con man, was convicted of embezzlement when Solo was an infant. She lost touch with him as he drifted out of prison and into homelessness. By the time they reunited, years later, in the parking lot of a grocery store, she was an All-American goalkeeper at the University of Washington and already a budding prospect for the U.S. national team. He was living in the woods. Despite harboring serious doubts even about the provenance of her father's last name (and her own), Solo embraces him as fiercely as she pursues her dreams of being a world-class soccer player. When those dreams are threatened by her standing within the national team, as when she was famously benched in the semifinals of the 2007 World Cup after four shutouts and spoke her piece publicly, we see a woman of uncompromising independence and hard-won perseverance navigate the petty backlash against her. For the first time, she tells her version of that controversial episode, and offers with it a full understanding of her hard-scrabble life. Moving, sometimes shocking, Solo is a portrait of an athlete finding redemption. This is the Hope Solo whom few have ever glimpsed.
- Author BiographyHope Solo, one of the most charismatic athletes in America, is widely regarded as the best women's goalkeeper in the world. An Olympic gold medalist, she has been a member of the U.S. national team since 2000 and has appeared on the covers of Sports Illustrated and ESPN The Magazine. At the 2011 World Cup, FIFA awarded her the adidas Golden Glove as the tournament's top goalkeeper. A prominent spokeswoman for Gatorade and Nike, she starred on the hit reality show Dancing with the Stars. She lives in Los Angeles, California. Ann Killion is a columnist with Sports Illustrated and a regular commentator on Comcast TV. She has covered the past nine Olympics and the last three Women's World Cups, and was a sports columnist at the San Jose Mercury News for twenty years.
- Author(s)Hope Solo
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight264 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $19.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.